As Atlanta welcomes winter and watches the last of the leaves fall, there are countless things to enjoy across the city during December! Discover the best things to do in Atlanta in December with the ideas and activities listed in this post.
From holiday-themed shows and events to concerts and sports games, food experiences, festive tours, and so much more – it’s all happening in Atlanta this December!
Whether you’re a local looking for seasonal thrills or a visitor ready for fresh experiences in the South, Atlanta has plenty to do during the holidays and beyond. Let Unexpected Atlanta be your guide to all the wintery fun!
The Best Things to Do in Atlanta in December
Read on for additional details on these Atlanta December events and more ATL fun!
- Cozy up with a festive, hands-on snowman biscuit-making and jam class
- See dazzling holiday light displays around Atlanta
- Get your fill at the Taste Urban food festival showcasing Black-owned businesses
- Venture to a host of Atlanta holiday shows and plays showcasing the best of the region’s performers
- Ice skate until your heart is content at Atlantic Station and other spots around the city
In this post, you’ll find:
- Atlanta winter date ideas for partners and friends
- December family activities perfect for all ages in Atlanta
- Top December Atlanta attractions to attend in 2023
- FAQs about visiting Atlanta in December, including Atlanta December weather
Atlanta Events in December 2023
Take Part in a Holiday Biscuit-Making & Food Tour Experience – One of our favorite things to do in Atlanta in December!
Get into the holiday spirit with a hands-on party showcasing the best of Atlanta’s foods! The Holiday Market Food Tour + Snowman Biscuit Class treats guests to 2.5 hours of foodie fun in Downtown Atlanta. Try 11 delicious food tastings from 4 food vendors in Atlanta’s oldest market, the Sweet Auburn Curb Market (also one of the top 10 markets in the country, according to USA Today)!
Try Southern holiday favorites like mulled cider, yams, mince pie, pecan pralines, and more. You’ll also learn about foods Georgia is known for, like peaches, collards, and pecans. Then, take part in a hands-on snowman biscuit-making and jam class!
This 2.5-hour indoor experience is the perfect way to create warm memories with family and friends during the chilly holiday season. With limited walking and enough tasty food for a hearty lunch, this is a holiday outing everyone will love!
Celebrate the Season at Colony Square, Benefitting CHOA
This year, join The Lighting at Colony Square for a fun celebration to kick off the holiday season and support Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
Hosetd on Dec. 1, 2023, the event includes live music, jolly entertainment, fun family activities, and more! Get all the details and a schedule of events on the Lighting at Colony Square website above.
See Dazzling Holiday Light Displays Around Atlanta – One of our favorite things to do in Atlanta in December for holiday joy!
Is seeing holiday lights your yearly tradition? If so, Atlanta has you covered! Venture to a several mesmerizing displays around the city to get your fill of twinkle lights and holiday characters. Check out some of Atlanta’s top holiday light displays happening in December 2023:
- Garden Lights, Holiday Nights (November 18, 2023 – January 14, 2024): A walkable, shimmering winter wonderland at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
- Fantasy in Lights (November 17, 2023 – January 1, 2024): Spectacular light and sound show at Callaway Gardens.
- Stone Mountain Christmas (November 11, 2023 – January 2, 2024): See millions of twinkling lights at Stone Mountain Park.
- Enchanted Safari (November 15 – December 31, 2023): A magical road trip hosted by World of Illumination at Six Flags White Water in Marietta.
Try Holiday Sips at Miracle Bar – One of our favorite things to do in Atlanta in December for adults!
Enjoy a merry Christmas bar with kitschy holiday cocktails and treats at the Miracle Bar! Visit Miracle Bar on Monroe Drive for drink options including favorites like the Run Run Rudolph, Bad Santa, and Elfing Around. In addition to visiting with friends or family, this Christmas activity is perfect for office holiday happy hours and Atlanta holiday parties!
This year, Miracle opens on November 25 through December 24 (closed on Dec. 25). Be patient when you go – they tend to fill up fast, with a line to get in! Reservations are not accepted, and seats are first-come, first-served.
Attend Toddler Storytime at the Atlanta History Center – One of our favorite things to do in Atlanta in December for families!
Toddler Storytime: Arctic Adventure at the Atlanta History Center is a family friendly event geared toward little ones ages 0-5. On December 6, 2023, this special storytime encourages kiddos to bundle up and learn about arctic winter happenings.
Hosted on the first Wednesday of each month, Toddler Storytimes at the Atlanta History Center are an engaging experience that includes arts and crafts projects, music, and – of course – a story! Located in Buckhead, the Atlanta History Center is also home to award-winning exhibitions, historic houses and gardens, and more across its 33 scenic acres.
Sample Holiday Treats by Black-Owned Businesses
On Wednesday, December 13, 2023, head to the Taste Urban food festival at The Foundry at Puritan Mill! You’ll find over 70 exhibitors, shopping and networking opportunities, drinks for purchase, and more!
Your ticket includes the chance to try delicious dishes at 20+ food tasting stations. Sample holiday dishes like ribs, sweet potato pie, and more while learning about and supporting Black-owned organizations and businesses.
Explore the 41st Annual Grant Park Candlelight Tour of Homes
What’s better than exploring other people’s beautiful homes? Exploring other people’s beautiful homes decked out for the holidays! The Grant Park Candlelight Tour of Homes is celebrating its 41st year in 2023.
In addition to holiday home tours, this event also includes an artist market, a bake sale, a candlelight concert, and more. Join in the neighborly fun – you might even meet a new friend or two! Home tours will take place on Saturday, December 9 and Sunday, December 10, 2023.
Enjoy Live Music at Concerts in Atlanta during December
Atlanta is a huge hub for music enthusiasts. From intimate venues to world-class arenas, the city offers a stage for every genre. During December, tap into a host of live concerts featuring seasonal sounds to today’s top artists. Check out some of Atlanta’s concerts happening in December 2023:
- Travis Scott – Utopia Tour: December 1 at State Farm Arena
- Manchester Orchestra: December 3 at The Eastern
- Bea Miller: December 5 at Buckhead Theatre
- Megan Moroney: December 10 at Buckhead Theatre
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra – The Ghosts of Christmas Eve: December 10 at The Eastern
- Rod Wave – Nostalgia Tour: December 13 at State Farm Arena
- Power 96.1 Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One: December 14 at State Farm Arena
- V-103 Winterfest 2023: December 15 at State Farm Arena
- Corey Smith: December 15 at Buckhead Theatre
- Steve Miller Band: December 17 at the Fox Theatre
- Lil Baby & Friends: December 27 at State Farm Arena
- T.I. – A Night Celebrating 20 Years of Trap Muzik: December 28 at Atlanta Symphony Hall
Ice Skate at Atlantic Station
Bundle up in your coziest sweater and head out for a day of skating at Skate the Station in Atlantic Station! To make your ice skating even more festive, Atlantic Station is all decked out in lights and decor for the holidays.
Best of all, your pass includes ice skate rental, making this an easy holiday experience. You can also grab a hot chocolate and other treats at the Skate Shack nearby. Skate the Station is open from November 17, 2023 through January 15, 2024, weather permitting.
Explore more Atlanta ice skating ideas in the video below!
Celebrate with Basketball at Holiday Hoopsgiving – One of our favorite things to do in Atlanta in December for sports fans!
Calling all basketball fans! Holiday Hoopsgiving is returning to State Farm Arena in 2023. At this men’s college basketball showcase, you can watch heart-pounding matchups of the country’s best college basketball teams!
Holiday Hoopsgiving will take place on December 9, 2023 with two game times. Bring the whole family and get in on the basketball action together!
Attend Holiday Shows and Plays
Revel in the holiday season with a spectacular lineup of plays and shows in Atlanta this December. Here’s your guide to the top shows in the city to celebrate the season with a festive spirit:
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (November 8 – December 31 2023): Holiday puppet show at the Center for Puppetry Arts.
- “(Knock Knock)” (November 10 – December 23, 2023): Holiday show for kids at the Alliance Theatre.
- A Christmas Carol (November 11 – December 24, 2023): Holiday production at the Alliance Theatre’s Coca-Cola Stage.
- The Hip Hop Nutcracker (December 3 2023): Contemporary dance show at the Fox Theatre.
- The Georgia Boy Choir (December 8 & 9, 2023): Holiday concert at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church.
- Atlanta Ballet’s Nutcracker (December 8 – 26, 2023): Holiday performance at the Cobb Energy Centre.
- Nutcracker! Musical Christmas Ballet (December 15 & 16, 2023): Musical ballet show at The Fox Theatre.
FAQs: Visiting Atlanta in December
What should I know when visiting Atlanta in December?
December is a fun time to visit the city, with holiday festive in full swing! There’s never a dull moment in Atlanta, especially during the hustle and bustle of December. With plenty of holiday events, shopping destinations, concerts, performances, and activities, the city is abuzz and alight with seasonal joy.
Keep in mind, December is a popular time for tourism, so we advise booking your accommodations in advance. Plus, some attractions, businesses, and restaurants may have modified hours or be closed on certain holidays. Be sure to check in advance to avoid any inconvenience.
What is Atlanta December weather like?
With average temperatures ranging from 36.5 F (2.5 C) to 54 F (12.2 C), you can expect chilly mornings and evenings. Atlanta is known for its warm weather – so those visiting from cold places may enjoy the break from harsh temperatures and snow! Visitors from warmer places may wish to bundle up, as temperatures can get into freezing during Atlanta winters. To stay comfortable, the best bet is to pack layers, including a warm jacket or other outerwear to keep you comfortable all day long.
It’s rare to see snow in Atlanta – and when it does fall, much to the dismay of local children and all those who enjoy a good snow day, it tends to not accumulate. According to The Weather Service 30-year averages, December is a higher rainfall month of the year in Atlanta, with an average of 4.57 inches. If you’re like us, you’ll cross your fingers for a light holiday dusting!